Thursday, June 5, 2014

Perserverance

Run Log - 6-3-2014






Wow!  Today's run was pretty difficult.  I was only 2 miles in my scheduled 5 mile run when I felt like packing it in.  It was 89 degrees at 7:30 at night and my legs were as tight as a drum.  I do walk sometimes, when at the halfway point of a run 8 miles or longer, to get water and stretch my legs ... but never on a run under 8 miles.  To me that feels like I've quit.  The same is true when I race in half marathon's ... I don't walk at any point ... or ... what's the point in challenging yourself.  I don't just want a finisher's medal ... I want to live up to the goal I set for that particular race.


So ... what was I thinking when I wanted to quit at 2 miles?  I remembered a motto I had lived by since beginning to run:  Remember Your Training.  I just thought back to all the times I had run and felt like quitting, but didn't.  I thought back to all the miles I had put in and told myself that I only have 3 more miles to go before I can gulp a nice, cold PowerAid Zero and feel the refreshment course through my body ... all the way down to my toes.  That usually does the trick.


The following verses came to mind as I was pushing myself through a run that I needed to make to continue my training for my next half marathons:


Rom 5:2 By whom also we have access by faith into this grace wherein we stand, and rejoice in hope of the glory of God.

Rom 5:3 And not only so, but we glory in tribulations also: knowing that tribulation worketh patience;

Rom 5:4 And patience, experience; and experience, hope:

Rom 5:5 And hope maketh not ashamed; because the love of God is shed abroad in our hearts by the Holy Ghost which is given unto us.


The word patience leads to experience, and experience leads to hope; that hope is an earnest expectation of what we know is going to happen.  That's one of the many reasons I like to run; every time I run in reminds me of Biblical principles that should be guiding my life.  It is one of those things that Romans one tells us God created to show us invisible truths.  So ... let's run the race of life together with patience ... because ... patience brings experience ... and ... experience brings hope!

Live OUT LOUD!
Mark Harrell - Habakkuk 2:2

Hab 2:2 And the LORD answered me, and said, Write the vision, and make it plain upon tables, that he may run that readeth it.





No comments:

Post a Comment